Monday, April 18, 2011

Concepts - Typographical Conveyance

Image 1
Image 2



For this project we were given a list of words that we then used fonts, color, and graphics to convey an idea or theme. The first word was "atom". I did two different versions of this. Image 1 I created in PowerPoint. I used Auto Shapes to create the circles and then added the letters on the atom as neutrons. Image 2 I created in Photoshop. I used the Shape tool where there was already an atom shape. I used this as the "o" in "atom" and added the other letters on either side.
Image 3
For the word "lightly" I put the word on a light colored background and typed "lightly". I then increased the opacity of the word so that it seemed faded. I was trying to convey lightness. 
Image 4
For the word "shred" I typed it in a bold, all caps, sans sarif font. I then used the eraser tool in Photoshop to make it look like it was shred by claws or some other scratching. 
Image 5
The word "pillow" I typed in a rounded font. I overlaid it on a square. I transformed both to make it a pillow shape, extending it in the middle and making it smaller on the ends.
Image 6
I typed "brick" on top of a brick background. The font I used had no fill so that the brick came through.

Image 7
The final word/phrase was "xxl". I chose a font that you might see on t-shirts for xxl. I chose to make each letter get larger.
This project felt difficult for me. I had a hard time thinking of and creating these. I think my favorite was "atom". I like the use of fonts and objects to create an obvious play on the word.

1 comment:

  1. I like your font choices on your images in this section. Each one really appeals to the the word that it conveys. Two of the more interesting images are 'brick' and 'atom'. I never thought to use the letters of the word atom as particles within the atom image. Very creative!Concerning brick, I think that was a very effective way to demonstrate the topic. Until I read the description I could not figure out how you did something so complex in PowerPoint (assuming you used PowerPoint). Again, they all look great!

    -Lamar

    ReplyDelete